Searching for source for special (?) ladderlock buckle
Reinhard Zwirner
2017-09-06 14:04:49 UTC
Dear backcountry experts

I'm searching for a certain ladderlock buckle, but until now in vain.

Does someone of you know a source and can name it? That would be
great! Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards

Reinhard
h***@juno.com
2017-09-07 18:37:34 UTC
<http://www.bilder-hochladen.net/files/big/12b4-l6-67c8.jpg>
Does someone of you know a source and can name it? That would be
great! Thank you very much in advance.
Not sure what you want. Do you just want to get rid of the one bar on the end?
If so, a hack saw or file can modify the buckle. REI and other good outdoor
retailers usually have a good collection of such things, or you can find gobs of
them with an on-line search.
Reinhard Zwirner
2017-09-07 20:49:41 UTC
***@juno.com schrieb:

[...]
Post by h***@juno.com
Not sure what you want. Do you just want to get rid of the one bar on the end?
Exactly!
Post by h***@juno.com
If so, a hack saw or file can modify the buckle. ...
I'm not sure if the 3rd bar will provide sufficient stability without
the 4th bar. The 4th bar must be of a certain importance, otherwise
it could have been omitted.
Post by h***@juno.com
... REI and other good outdoor
retailers usually have a good collection of such things, or you can find gobs of
them with an on-line search.
Be assured that I've intensely searched for a ladderlock buckle with
three bars like the one in the photos - without success. There is
such a buckle made by Sea To Summit, but it's only 1" wide.

Best regards

Reinhard
h***@juno.com
2017-09-08 16:36:59 UTC
Post by Reinhard Zwirner
[...]
Post by h***@juno.com
... REI and other good outdoor
retailers usually have a good collection of such things, or you can find gobs of
them with an on-line search.
Be assured that I've intensely searched for a ladderlock buckle with
three bars like the one in the photos - without success. There is
such a buckle made by Sea To Summit, but it's only 1" wide.
Best regards
Reinhard
Most likely the extra bar is in case you need added friction. You probably won't
lose much if you try cutting it off.
Reinhard Zwirner
2017-09-09 09:22:45 UTC
***@juno.com schrieb:

[snip]
Most likely the extra bar is in case you need added friction. ...
Hmm. Are you sure? I can't see that.

How can bar #4 add friction?
... You probably won't
lose much if you try cutting it off.
Would you bet on it ;-)? I for myself would feel not really safe
using that buckle shortened according to your proposition.

Best regards

Reinhard
h***@juno.com
2017-09-10 02:34:15 UTC
Post by Reinhard Zwirner
[snip]
Most likely the extra bar is in case you need added friction. ...
Hmm. Are you sure? I can't see that.
<http://www.bilder-hochladen.net/files/12b4-l7-b9cd.jpg>
How can bar #4 add friction?
One more bar to weave fabric around.
... You probably won't
Post by Reinhard Zwirner
lose much if you try cutting it off.
Would you bet on it ;-)? I for myself would feel not really safe
using that buckle shortened according to your proposition.
Safe? Surely you are not using this in a life safety application. Try it,
testing trumps theory any day.
Reinhard Zwirner
2017-09-11 11:51:08 UTC
Post by h***@juno.com
[snip]
Post by Reinhard Zwirner
lose much if you try cutting it off.
Would you bet on it ;-)? I for myself would feel not really safe
using that buckle shortened according to your proposition.
Safe? Surely you are not using this in a life safety application.
Of course not. But I feel "unsafe" if I have the impression that my
hiking equipment isn't absolutely stable ;-).
Post by h***@juno.com
... Try it, ...
Ok, I'll do. But I'll blame it to you if the hip belt of my backpack
suddenly doesn't work any more because of a broken buckle ;-)!

Best regards

Reinhard
h***@juno.com
2017-09-12 18:59:53 UTC
Post by Reinhard Zwirner
Post by h***@juno.com
[snip]
Post by h***@juno.com
... Try it, ...
Ok, I'll do. But I'll blame it to you if the hip belt of my backpack
suddenly doesn't work any more because of a broken buckle ;-)!
Hey, I have a wife and daughters. I'm used to being blamed.

And you could do the test near your home, that is what I was thinking of. Better
find out if it works there than 20 miles down the trail.
Reinhard Zwirner
2017-09-12 20:09:15 UTC
Post by h***@juno.com
Post by Reinhard Zwirner
Post by h***@juno.com
[snip]
Post by h***@juno.com
... Try it, ...
Ok, I'll do. But I'll blame it to you if the hip belt of my backpack
suddenly doesn't work any more because of a broken buckle ;-)!
Hey, I have a wife and daughters. I'm used to being blamed.
And you could do the test near your home, that is what I was thinking of. Better
find out if it works there than 20 miles down the trail.
Have you ever heard about Murphy's law <sigh>? But let us think
positive ...!

Best regards

Reinhard
h***@juno.com
In your testing, put at least twice the stress on it that you expect in use.
Reinhard Zwirner
2017-09-13 00:07:53 UTC
Post by h***@juno.com
Post by Reinhard Zwirner
Post by h***@juno.com
Post by Reinhard Zwirner
Post by h***@juno.com
[snip]
Post by h***@juno.com
... Try it, ...
Ok, I'll do. But I'll blame it to you if the hip belt of my backpack
suddenly doesn't work any more because of a broken buckle ;-)!
Hey, I have a wife and daughters. I'm used to being blamed.
And you could do the test near your home, that is what I was thinking of. Better
find out if it works there than 20 miles down the trail.
Have you ever heard about Murphy's law <sigh>? But let us think
positive ...!
In your testing, put at least twice the stress on it that you expect in use.
Maybe the buckle will survive but I'll die because of not being able
to breathe any more when the hip belt is tightened this way ;-) ...

I'll report my experiences after the first usage.

Best regards and good night

Reinhard