ANOTHER Mountain Biker Dies!
Mike Vandeman
2012-03-27 05:29:18 UTC
Evolution in action!

Mike

http://www.scene.co.nz/tourist-dies-minutes-after-starting-mountain-bike-ride/298174a1.page

Tourist dies minutes after starting mountain bike ride

Queenstown Bike Taxis owner Jono Head

The British tourist who died while mountain biking was only a few
minutes into his downhill excursion with Queenstown Bike Taxis.

Philip Ross Bergman, 26, collapsed shortly after 2pm yesterday
(Monday) at Dirt Park ­ which operates as ski resort Snow Park in
winter ­ in the Cardrona Valley.

Queenstown Bike Taxis owner Jono Head says he drove the man and a
group of about 10 riders from Queenstown to the park.

“They’d been on their bikes for probably two or three minutes, stopped
where two tracks join and walked 30-40m up the other track to have a
look at a feature and then the young guy’s collapsed,” he says.

Bergman's friends performed CPR immediately and contacted emergency
services as well as Head, who was driving down the mountain access
road.

“The group that was with him did exceptionally well ­ everything that
should have happened did happen.”

Detective sergeant Derek Shaw, from the Wanaka police, says Bergman
came off his bike moments before the group stopped at an area known as
the Rock Drop, where he collapsed.

“It was more of a light tumble than a major crash,” Shaw says.

“We suspect the fall was a result of the medical event rather than his
death being a result of injuries by the fall.

“We don’t believe that it’s a suspicious death in any way. The final
outcome will be determined by the coroner.”

Head, who regularly takes tours to Dirt Park, describes the terrain as
steep, rocky and challenging.

“But the section that they were on was pretty easy going ­ it was the
first run of the day so they would have been taking their time. It’s
just a huge shock to have somebody collapse like that,” Head says.

“I’m happy to help out where I can and obviously thoughts are with the
friends and family. If they need any form of assistance I’d be happy
to help them out.”

Shaw says a Queenstown helicopter promptly flew to the area, and a
paramedic on board pronounced Bergman dead at the scene.

Bergman had been living in North East Valley in Dunedin since
travelling around New Zealand for the Rugby World Cup. He’d taken a
trip to Queenstown for the weekend with mates, Shaw says.

Bergman was born in Australia but spent most of his life in the United
Kingdom. Family in Perth and Herefordshire have been notified.

A post mortem is being carried out today.
Thomas Heger
2012-03-27 06:57:49 UTC
Post by Mike Vandeman
Evolution in action!
Mike
http://www.scene.co.nz/tourist-dies-minutes-after-starting-mountain-bike-ride/298174a1.page
Tourist dies minutes after starting mountain bike ride
People die for various reasons. If young people die without obvious
cause, it should be suspicious, but in sports there is always a risk.

Mountain-biking isn't particularly risky, but you can hurt yourself very
seriously or even die. That's possibly. Only it is not THAT likely.

So I fail to understand the reason you mentioned it and the reasons, why
you have started several threads about this subject.

TH
Mike Vandeman
2012-03-27 14:49:15 UTC
Am 27.03.2012 07:29, schrieb Mike Vandeman:> Evolution in action!
Mike
http://www.scene.co.nz/tourist-dies-minutes-after-starting-mountain-b...
Tourist dies minutes after starting mountain bike ride
People die for various reasons. If young people die without obvious
cause, it should be suspicious, but in sports there is always a risk.
Mountain-biking isn't particularly risky,
BS. See http://mjvande.nfshost.com/mtb_dangerous.htm. 267 serious
injuries & deaths, just in the last 3 years. I know mountain bikers
would like this swept under the rug. They never want to talk about it
honestly. Mountain bikig is INHERENTLY dangerous, because nature is
unpredictable.