Disarming the Feds (BLM, FS, NPS)
a***@gmail.com
2014-04-15 20:51:06 UTC
Sen. Larry Craig of Idaho, in an interview last Wednesday, suggested
disarming all federal employees who work on federal lands (Forest
Service, BLM, etc.). The one exception would be some National Park
Service rangers as the NPS is a "manager of people as much as a
protector of property".
Larry Craig, an anti-gun control advocate, and a board member of the
NRA says that people are increasingly frightened by "an armed federal
entity in the west". He claims that there is no problem with this and
the second amendment as it just protects the rights of private
citizens to own weapons, and that there is no reason for federal
employees to have them.
Is this guy for real?
Why should a lower level bureaucracy have its own army, all that does is escalate problems.
h***@juno.com
2014-04-18 02:45:25 UTC
Sen. Larry Craig of Idaho, in an interview last Wednesday, suggested
disarming all federal employees who work on federal lands (Forest
Service, BLM, etc.). The one exception would be some National Park
Service rangers as the NPS is a "manager of people as much as a
protector of property".
I am a strong supporter of the second amendment and also believe that altogether too many federal employees are armed at our expense. However that goes too far. There are many areas on public lands where nasty folks roam and any ranger is likely to be on his own, no help anywhere near.

Once on a search our team got a ride back to base with a couple of Forest Service law enforcement types. One of them warned us to never, ever leave a car parked overnight in his territory. If we did someone would steal what was stealable and burn the rest. As we drove out we met a gob of cars on the way in, headed to what was undoubtedly a wild, drug-fueled party. That area is known for such and for general lawlessness. That guy was also the most heavily armed law enforcement officer I ever met, side arm, shotgun and either an AR15 or M15, I was too tired to ask which. And that was only the weapons I saw, likely he had one or two others out of sight.
Bruce Gordon
2014-04-18 19:53:54 UTC
Post by h***@juno.com
[...]
Hal, Long time.... My Opinion... YMMV....

There is really NO Need for BLM and USFS to have more than a FEW Armed
Enforcement Rangers, and certainly NOT the amount of Armed Rangers that
showed up at the Bundy Ranch. Where I live, in the Bush of Alaska, I
know the USFS Enforcement Ranger, as he grew up with My Son, and is like
a son to Me. He is a Good Ranger, and does his Duty without the
Intimidation BS seen in Nevada. If these .Gov Outfits need Muscle, and
have a Federal Court Order, signed by a Federal Judge, the can get the
US Marshals Service to be that Muscle, just like I did, when I was a
Federal Agent, and needed Muscle, to enforce Federal Law. Those Yahoos
in Nevada, Exceeded their Lawful Authority, MULTIPLE Times, by doing
more than was Granted in the Federal Court Order, they were Enforcing.
BLM went Judge shopping just to get that Order in the First Place, and
had that Order been appealed to the 9th Circuit, it would have been
quashed in a Heartbeat. That is why they backed down, and for No Other
Reason... Harry Reid (Scumbag extrodenair) is behind this whole deal, and
when his Chinese Solar Deal was exposed, he called His protogie, who is
not BLM Commissioner, and told them "Things are getting HOT" AND THEY
BACKED OFF, for now... and as Harry said, "This is NOT Over." and All
these folks, that went to the Bundy's AID, are "Domestic Terrorists" I
suspect that Harry LIED on the floor of the Senate, yesterday, when he
stated that there were "Automatic Weapons" in that crowd.... Well if
Harry understood the National Firearms Act of 1934, as Amended, he would
KNOW, that to move an NFA Weapon (Automatic Weapon) across State Lines
requires a Permit from the ATF, which takes MONTHS to get, and this
little dustup happened in DAYS. So, any Automatic Weapons, would either
have been, in the hands of the .GOV Folks, (which I have said many times
in the Past, "There is NO Possible Justification, for ANY Civilian Law
Enforcement Outfit to possess an Automatic Weapon, PERIOD") or they were
brought by Local Nevada State NFA Licensed Owners, which has and was
NEVER Documented. Just as there has NEVER been a documented Case of an
NFA Registered Weapon, EVER being used in a Crime, in the USA....
Harry is now for talking out of his ASS, most of the time......
Especially, when he is trying to cover up his own shady dealings.....

My, 1st Amendment, Opinion..... YMMV..... Just Say'en.....
h***@juno.com
2014-04-19 21:27:52 UTC
Post by Bruce Gordon
There is really NO Need for BLM and USFS to have more than a FEW Armed
Enforcement Rangers, and certainly NOT the amount of Armed Rangers that
showed up at the Bundy Ranch. Where I live, in the Bush of Alaska, I
know the USFS Enforcement Ranger, as he grew up with My Son, and is like
a son to Me. He is a Good Ranger, and does his Duty without the
Intimidation BS seen in Nevada. If these .Gov Outfits need Muscle, and
have a Federal Court Order, signed by a Federal Judge, the can get the
US Marshals Service to be that Muscle...
Sounds like we basically agree. They need some armed LEOs but not near what they have created. Of course the US marshals can step in in many cases. However I wonder how effective they would be in a backcountry situation, I'd guess they are not trained for such. And a ranger patrolling alone in a drug-infested part of the forest best be capable and ready to deal with nasties on his own. Even if he can call for help it will take probably hours to get there.