XM radio for hiking
Darrell Criswell
2004-06-20 13:28:33 UTC
Has anyone investigated the feasiblity of using XM radio while hiking?
It doesn't seem they have marketed a truly portable system but it
seems something is possible. Thanks
Kamus of Kadizhar
2004-06-20 14:04:34 UTC
Post by Darrell Criswell
Has anyone investigated the feasiblity of using XM radio while hiking?
It doesn't seem they have marketed a truly portable system but it
seems something is possible. Thanks
Probably because some of us would take that radio and pound it into bits,
then use the bits as the foundation of a cairn.

Just my $0.02 - personally, I go into the backcountry to get away from
noise....

--Kamus
--
o |
o__ >[] | A roadie who doesn't ride a mountain bike has no soul.
(_)\(_) \ \ | -Doug Taylor, alt.mountain-bike
Darrell Criswell
2004-06-20 14:53:19 UTC
Come on! Some of us live in areas which are less than scenic (Texas)
and three are no areas anywhere close resembling backcountry, but we
still want to hike in the few places available which are exactly awe
inspiring.

--Kamus
Eugene Miya
2004-06-21 04:43:53 UTC
Post by Darrell Criswell
Come on! Some of us live in areas which are less than scenic (Texas)
and three are no areas anywhere close resembling backcountry, but we
still want to hike in the few places available which are exactly awe
inspiring.
You can hike in many areas, but a few people hike in areas where they may
be followed by the local wildlike and eaten by not listening and
observing the local environment.
Post by Kamus of Kadizhar
Post by Darrell Criswell
Has anyone investigated the feasiblity of using XM radio while hiking?
Probably because some of us would take that radio and pound it into bits,
then use the bits as the foundation of a cairn.
Can't say that I blame Kamus or Rick.
rick++
2004-06-22 13:43:53 UTC
Post by Kamus of Kadizhar
Probably because some of us would take that radio and pound it into bits,
then use the bits as the foundation of a cairn.
Mnay public venues now remind of those "walking dead" zombie movies:
People are physically together, but almost completely ignoring each other
because they are wired into their cellphones, music players, laptops, etc.
Coffee houses, libraries, busses, and even parks and beaches are like this.
Only a mtter of time until the backcountry succumbs :-)
c***@comcast.net
2004-06-22 16:25:35 UTC
Post by rick++
People are physically together, but almost completely ignoring each other
because they are wired into their cellphones, music players, laptops, etc.
Coffee houses, libraries, busses, and even parks and beaches are like this.
Only a mtter of time until the backcountry succumbs :-)
In the backcountry it could be blasphemy, but in urban places I think it
is a peaceful improvement. The exception is the person who yells into a
cellphone, particularly in enclosed places.

Ben
the Moderator
2004-06-22 16:27:44 UTC
Post by rick++
Post by Kamus of Kadizhar
Probably because some of us would take that radio and pound it into bits,
then use the bits as the foundation of a cairn.
People are physically together, but almost completely ignoring each other
because they are wired into their cellphones, music players, laptops, etc.
Coffee houses, libraries, busses, and even parks and beaches are like this.
Only a mtter of time until the backcountry succumbs :-)\
Hike your own hike only applies to people who do the things that I think are
appropriate.
c***@tiny.net.invalid
2004-06-24 01:08:22 UTC
On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 11:27:44 -0500, "the Moderator"
Post by the Moderator
Post by rick++
Only a mtter of time until the backcountry succumbs :-)\
Hike your own hike only applies to people who do the things that I think are
appropriate.
For me it only applies to things that don't intrude on my own hike /
paddle / whatever. Someone wants to listen to music? Fine. As long
as it doesn't reach as far as my hearing goes. Might even improve his
hiking rhythm
--
rbc:vixen,Minnow Goddess,Willow Watcher,and all that sort of thing.
Often taunted by trout.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli
Mike Sisk
2004-06-25 21:54:54 UTC
A few years back on a trail near Bishop Pass I spotted a hiker slowly
coming up the trail. He had an enormous old external frame pack, his
head down watching his feet, and appeared to have a set of headphones
on.

I stepped off the trail since he didn't seem aware of anything around
him, and as he passed by -- he never noticed me as far as I could tell
-- I could clearly hear bible verses coming from the headphones.

Walking zombie, indeed.

-Mike
Gary S.
2004-06-25 22:17:11 UTC
Post by Mike Sisk
A few years back on a trail near Bishop Pass I spotted a hiker slowly
coming up the trail. He had an enormous old external frame pack, his
head down watching his feet, and appeared to have a set of headphones
on.
I stepped off the trail since he didn't seem aware of anything around
him, and as he passed by -- he never noticed me as far as I could tell
-- I could clearly hear bible verses coming from the headphones.
Walking zombie, indeed.
Wouldn't it be simpler and lighter to memorize it?

Many people have memorized their holy book of choice.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA
Eugene Miya
2004-06-26 08:15:36 UTC
Post by Gary S.
Wouldn't it be simpler and lighter to memorize it?
He was in training.

bizbee
2004-06-26 05:50:13 UTC
On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 10:04:34 -0400 in
Post by Kamus of Kadizhar
Just my $0.02 - personally, I go into the backcountry to get away from
noise....
Great... however, not all hikes are in the back country, and you are
invited not to take a radio if you so choose.
Don't tell me what to do, however, or you may be percieved as a
self-righteous asshole.
f***@gmail.com
2017-06-09 02:13:01 UTC
Post by Kamus of Kadizhar
Post by Darrell Criswell
Has anyone investigated the feasiblity of using XM radio while hiking?
It doesn't seem they have marketed a truly portable system but it
seems something is possible. Thanks
Probably because some of us would take that radio and pound it into bits,
then use the bits as the foundation of a cairn.
Just my $0.02 - personally, I go into the backcountry to get away from
noise....
--Kamus
--
o |
o__ >[] | A roadie who doesn't ride a mountain bike has no soul.
,>/'_ /\ | But then a mountain biker who doesn't ride a road bike has no legs...
(_)\(_) \ \ | -Doug Taylor, alt.mountain-bike
Then why are you here?

Gourm Hardee
2004-06-20 14:25:54 UTC
Post by Darrell Criswell
Has anyone investigated the feasiblity of using XM radio while hiking?
It doesn't seem they have marketed a truly portable system but it
seems something is possible. Thanks
A new radio, the Roady II with built in ant. rf modualtor and updated
earphone jacks, should hit the market late summer.
--
"Not all those who wander are lost" ~ Tolkien

-=<>=-=<>=-=<>=-=<>=-=<>=-=<>=-=<>=-=<>=-=<>=-
Gourm Hardee, Huntsville, Al
Please reply to gourmATknology.net
Rick Courtright
2004-06-20 14:49:01 UTC
Post by Darrell Criswell
Has anyone investigated the feasiblity of using XM radio while hiking?
Not sure on XM, but I HAVE investigated the feasibility of listening to
the sounds of nature, enjoying the quiet, or, if hiking with a
companion, of actually conversing with another human in a one on one
environment.

Using the theory that the most elegant answers to engineering problems
are the simplest, these seem a far better answer to me than XM.

Rick
Gourm Hardee
2004-06-20 15:14:03 UTC
Post by Rick Courtright
Post by Darrell Criswell
Has anyone investigated the feasiblity of using XM radio while hiking?
Not sure on XM, but I HAVE investigated the feasibility of listening to
the sounds of nature, enjoying the quiet, or, if hiking with a
companion, of actually conversing with another human in a one on one
environment.
Using the theory that the most elegant answers to engineering problems
are the simplest, these seem a far better answer to me than XM.
Rick
I agree completely, Rick. To be honest though, in '99 when I hiked the
AT, I used a small earphone radio to stay up on weather reports and some
occasional music after I turned in for the night.

Darrell Criswell
2004-06-20 15:44:44 UTC
In Texas there are areas where there is no public land within hours,
just some small little parks where you have to do loop hikes (multiple
loops) to get a decent workout. If I were hiking on the applachian
trial I might not feel any need for XM radio but in Texas its
different.

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 10:14:03 -0500, Gourm Hardee <gourmATknology.net>
D Ray
2004-06-21 00:19:54 UTC
Post by Darrell Criswell
In Texas there are areas where there is no public land within hours,
just some small little parks where you have to do loop hikes (multiple
loops) to get a decent workout. If I were hiking on the applachian
trial I might not feel any need for XM radio but in Texas its
different.
The new XM Roady2 will be incorporated into a walkman-styled device
shortly. The Roady2 will be the most portable satellite radio device
in existence -- you can use the same unit (meaning, the same $10/month
subscription) and move it from your car to your home to a boombox or
to this walkman device.

Here are some prerelease photos:

http://www.xm411.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=3164

You may have to get a login ID to view them. But it is the coolest
development in satellite radio to date, since it allows you to use
your subscription anywhere.

XM is really treating its customers fairly in this respect, by
offering a device that allows one subscription to be "moved around"
from place to place.
Pete Hickey
2004-06-22 11:16:50 UTC
Post by Rick Courtright
but I HAVE investigated the feasibility of listening to
the sounds of nature,
What? You got one of those relaxation CDs with the sounds of
birds and running water?

-Pete
--
"It's a sad day for american capitalism when a man
can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park."
J. Moran
Greg
2004-06-20 19:24:50 UTC
Post by Darrell Criswell
Has anyone investigated the feasiblity of using XM radio while hiking?
It doesn't seem they have marketed a truly portable system but it
seems something is possible. Thanks
I use an mp3 player since the idea of having to subscribe to radio turns
me off. That and the fact that radio, at least locally, sucks in the
music selection. I see nothing wrong with wanting to have something to
listen to while hiking or camping, just use headphone so that the sound
police doesn't get upset.
Greg Okerlund
BS Computer Science
http://www.khaaan.com/
Kamus of Kadizhar
2004-06-20 21:08:15 UTC
Post by Greg
just use headphone so that the sound
police doesn't get upset.
Not that I'm the sound police but.... Mother nature gave me hearing far
better than most people can dream about (a way of compensating for crappy
eyesight I guess.)

I've seen (and unfortunately heard) idiots who haul ghetto-blasters that
must weigh 30# into the backcountry. They 'camp' - which usually means
hack down some trees, start a fire, turn on the ghetto-blaster, and pitch
a sloppy-assed tent - and proceed to get obnoxious.

Since I can hear nearly as well as some dogs, this is pure torture for me.
I can hear music literaly from miles away on a quiet night.

As with anything else, use music responsibly and I don't have a problem.
Use a ghetto-blaster and I'm likely to wait until you pass out, then piss
all over it. Hey, it's battery powered. :-)

I did not mean to offend with my original remarks, but they struck a
chord, if you will.....

--Kamus
Greg
2004-06-21 16:22:26 UTC
Post by Kamus of Kadizhar
Post by Greg
[...]
I'd get upset too if people were blasting music instead of using head
phones
Greg Okerlund
BS Computer Science
http://www.khaaan.com/
rick++
2004-06-21 14:38:25 UTC
Post by Darrell Criswell
Has anyone investigated the feasiblity of using XM radio while hiking?
It doesn't seem they have marketed a truly portable system but it
seems something is possible. Thanks
It doesnt always get a signal in steep valleys or under thick foiliage.
But much more a availabe than ground-based broadcast stations.
I had it in a rental car once while driving in the CO mountains.
Bruce W.1
2004-06-21 20:04:15 UTC
Post by Darrell Criswell
Has anyone investigated the feasiblity of using XM radio while hiking?
It doesn't seem they have marketed a truly portable system but it
seems something is possible. Thanks

Geez, give Darrell a break. There's nothing wrong with a little radio
while on the trail. And commercials suck so XM satelite radio might be
nice.

I can't begin to count the times I got bored while walking down the
trail and longed for a radio. I try to convince myself that it's a Zen
inner peace thing. That usually works for about fifteen minutes.

Lacking a radio I then find other diversions like experimenting with
different ways of walking, or seeing how long I can close my eyes before
tripping on something. Then there's walking barefoot.
the Moderator
Next time try walking barefoot and blindfolded.
Bruce W.1
2004-06-22 02:50:16 UTC
Post by the Moderator
Next time try walking barefoot and blindfolded.

I like that. Of course I would have to be really bored but I'll give it
a try. I am Kung Fu and there is rice paper on the trail which I must
not tear. The animals cannot sense me. I move silently thru the forest
until I trip on something because of my blindfold.
art
Bruce W.1
2004-06-23 02:54:24 UTC
Post by art
Hike naked, barefoot and blindfolded with hearing protectors. THAT'S the zen
experience....you've just tasted the water, grasshopper.

Now that would not be boring. XM satellite radio would be the last
thing on my mind.
the Moderator
When you can snatch the gorp from my hand....
Eugene Miya
2004-06-25 08:34:28 UTC
Post by the Moderator
When you can snatch the gorp from my hand....
It was delicious, thanks.

Slurp.

Stormin Mormon
2004-06-22 13:25:44 UTC
So, why bother to leave the city if you are planning to
bring your radio with you?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Doug Meredith
2004-06-22 15:03:06 UTC
Post by Stormin Mormon
So, why bother to leave the city if you are planning to
bring your radio with you?
Why bother to leave the city if you are planning to bring your
footwear with you?
--
Doug Meredith
Skyridge Systems Inc.
www.skyridge.com
Me
2004-06-23 02:59:15 UTC
Post by Stormin Mormon
So, why bother to leave the city if you are planning to
bring your radio with you?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
www.mormons.com
So he can mount the antenna next to the propeller on his beanie.......

me
Stormin Mormon
2004-06-24 17:38:33 UTC
Ground it to your aluminum foil underwear? With the cast
iron jockstrap?

And then a satelite dish on top?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

me
Eugene Miya
2004-06-25 08:36:55 UTC
Post by Stormin Mormon
So, why bother to leave the city if you are planning to
bring your radio with you?
Because not every one comes from the city.
This is one point made in a new book The Whale and the Supercomputer.

Keep plugging the LDS. It helps Utah.